6 Ways to Build Trust among Customers as an African E-Commerce Company
February 15, 2018Entrepreneurship
At Invent Electronics, customers can order their electronic components from our website, pay on the website and have their components delivered to them in their homes.
One of the most frequent questions we get from would-be 1st-time customers is this:
How do I know you guys are genuine and won’t run away with my money?
Usually, these guys arrive on our site from Google search. Prior to their search on Google, they didn’t even know we existed.
The question above is a very legitimate concern for customers in Africa attempting to make online purchases given the proliferation of online scams in many African countries, especially Nigeria and Ghana.
Because of the prevalence of online scams, people are sceptical about doing business and parting with money online and this has become a challenge e-commerce companies in Africa have to overcome.
Establishing trust in the eyes of the customer is something African e-commerce companies will have to take very seriously if they really want to increase conversion rates and drive more sales from their website.
If you already run an e-commerce business in Africa or you are thinking of running one, here are 6 strategies you can use to establish trust among your website visitors.
1. Ensure your site looks professional and is well designed. Nothing makes a sceptical buyer more suspicious than a poorly designed website.
2. Put testimonials from current customers on your homepage. This assures them that other people have done business with you and you can be trusted. If you have positive press releases about your company, include links to them too.
3. Have a live chat service (if you can). With live chat on your site, potential buyers get the opportunity to talk to a real person and this gives them more confidence that you are legit.
4. Make yourself easily accessible. Let the customer feel that they are dealing with people. Include an about us page on your site and make it easy for the customer to contact you by displaying your number and your address prominently.
5. Prove that your website is secure. One way to do so is to make sure your site has an SSL certificate. (Your site begins with https and has a padlock symbol).
6. Get reviews. Let customers leave reviews on your products. Reviews are like testimonials. They let the buyer know that other people have bought from you so it is safe to buy from you too.
Building trust among first-time shoppers as an e-commerce business in Africa is not easy. However, If you adopt these strategies you will see more website visitors turn to customers.
My name is Isaac Sesi. I am an award-winning entrepreneur, front-end developer and embedded systems engineer. I started my first company, Invent Electronics in my second year in college and have co-founded 3 other companies since.
On this site, I share practical a lot of practical insights and resources in entrepreneurship from an African entrepreneur’s perspective to help you become a better African entrepreneur too.
Read more about me
My Recommended Resources
Here are my most useful tools and services which I recommend to help you achieve your business goals.
- Siteground for hosting your website
- OptinMonster for building your email list
- Mailchimp for email marketing
- Divi theme for building your WordPress site
- Wave to manage your company’s finances
- Hubspot for managing your customers
- Buffer for scheduling social media posts
- Crisp for your website’s livechat
- The Lean Startup, a great book on how to build startups
(Note: Some of these links are affiliate links meaning that if you click on them and make a purchase I will get an affiliate commission or some form of reward at no extra cost to you. Read my affiliate disclaimer)
Businesses I Am Building
Invent Electronics The premier electronics components retail store in Ghana
Sesi Technologies An Ag-tech hardware startup manufacturing affordable technology for the Agric sector
Wires & Bytes A Software development startup with a focus on developing SaaS applications for the educational sector
Sesi Consult A business consultancy service for startup entrepreneurs
Do you want to start your own business and don’t know where to begin? Or you’ve started your own business and you need expert advice to help you grow? Or you need help getting your business online?
I have helped many people like you start and grow their dream business and I WANT TO HELP YOU TOO!